Detox Water with Lemon, Cucumber, and Mint.

detox water

*I’ve had some people ask about side effects from drinking Lemon water aka Detox Water and I’m not aware of any, but a few people have reported going #2 more than normal the first day or two. When in doubt always consult a physician.

Drinking LOTS of water is key to weight loss, staying hydrated, and removing impurities from your body. If you’re not a big water drinker then plain water can get boring, but if you add the right things they give it some flavor and help to detox your body.

• Lemon: Lemon water makes for a powerful detox drink; lemon juice helps to cleanse and alkalize the body. Add one thinly sliced lemon to a large pitcher, or squeeze fresh lemon juice into your glass. Lemon also aides in digestion and boosts your immune system.
  • Mint: Mint adds a touch of sweetness without the sugar, and it also helps settle your stomach and aids in digestion.
  • Cucumber: Adding a few slices of cucumber to your water makes for excellent re-hydration, and cucumber contains anti-inflammatory properties.

3 quarts or 12 cups of water

2 lemons, sliced

1/2 cucumber, sliced

10 mint leaves

Rinse everything really well. Slice lemons and cucumber. Add lemons, cucumber, and mint to pitcher. Cover with 3 quarts of water and refrigerate over night.

Enjoy!

Q & A

How much lemon water should I drink? If you are over 150 pounds 1 lemon total a day if you are under 150 pounds ½ lemon will do. Increase your consumption gradually because lemons have high detoxification qualities and its symptoms.

When is the best time to drink lemon water? Upon rising, your body has been in a natural state of fasting all night or all day if you work midnights. Drinking lemon water will help to jump start your metabolism and digestive system. Also drink lemon water 30 minutes before each meal this will enhance the nutritional absorption, increase digestion and energy derived from your meal.

How often should I drink lemon water? Once a day in the morning is good. Twice a day is excellent! See what works best for you. Play around with it and see how you feel. When in doubt, consult a physician.

Can I use lime or another kind of mint? YES! You can add whatever you want to this drink. It’s really all about your preference and what you will enjoy.

Can I take medications while drinking this? I am not a doctor and you should ALWAYS consult your physician.

Can I still eat while doing this? Please still eat while drinking this!! Of course if you’re trying to lose weight eating a healthy and balanced meal is ideal. I would suggest drinking 1 to 2 glasses a day.

Over 34,000 pins on pinterest!

Pin It

Comments

1. lena says

jamie, i agree! i squeeze a half of a lemon into a mason jar every morning and drink it right away! i squeeze the other half of lemon and finish it off. 1 lemon a day! :*)

• Kelly in morgan city says

Ive been making a 2+ gal batch. Distilled water, a doz lemons. (blended) seeds and hard yellow only removed. sweetened with agave and or stevia.
      12+oz 30min before breakfast. 4am 4-5 scambled eggs. better than McDs…..
      28oz jug with an awsome salade around noon for lunch..

• Debbie says

Your recipe is the first one I’ve seen where Distilled water was used? (In your detox lemon cucumber mint concoction? ) is Distilled water best or is is also ok to use tap water out of the kitchen sink?

Thank you in advance, for you taking time out of your busy day, to answer an email :) This is my first time making the detox water so I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t cutting any corners???!!!

Thank you!

• says

1 week now am doing this every morning i drinking on it is really amazing before i eat my breakfast i drink one glass. I feel something different when i start drinking on it everyday i feel not really hungry. Coz i know much i eat and now i had my breakfast cornflakes low calories light milk but just a little then I full enough then my lunch little of rice

• Jason says

As a nurse, I recommend against distilled water. This can throw off the electrolyte balance of the blood stream and lead to “less than positive” outcomes. In fact, drinking too much pure water can lead to a condition known as hyponatremia and can lead to death. Be careful at what speed you imbibe distilled water.

• Brenda says

Totally agree with you Lena, I find that half a lemon is the perfect amount. I also have the other half for later in the day, works great :)

@Esther – You can drink lemon water every day but it should compliment your diet. If you want to lose weight and keep it off long term, focus on what you eat and add in around 30-45 mins of cardio per day. If you’re unsure of what to eat, I highly recommend you check out: http://TheVenusGuide.com – It’s designed specifically for women.

Hope this helps :)

2. lena says

jamie, i agree! i squeeze a half of a lemon into a mason jar every morning and drink it right away! i squeeze the other half of lemon and finish it off for the rest of the day. 1 lemon a day! :*)

3. Kellie says

I always ask for lemon with my water when I go out, but I never remember to do it at home. I drink tons of water all day (at home & at work), but sometimes you just need some flavor in your drink.

What kind of mint leaves do you use in yours? Peppermint, spearmint or something else?

• thedenverhousewife says

I wouldn’t leave them longer then 24 hours. If you haven’t finished the water yet, you can just take them out and the water will still be infused.

4. laurie nykaza says

This recipe for the detox water sounds really good. This would be refreshing and I really would love to drink this everyday great idea.

5. Barbara S says

I love this water! I never thought of putting the two together I usually make Lemon mint & then a cucumber one but now I will mix them!

• Zodwa says

Ive been strugling to loose weight,so they tell me to drink water of which i was not a fan of, but with this detox now i can drinkmore tha 2 litres a day, is it a good or bad thing?

• Brandie says

I can’t testify to what it does for the body yet because I just started. It does taste delicious. It’s cool and refreshing. I’m thinking of adding some kind of fruit to it every now and again. Keep it interesting and fresh.

6. Ra'sasha says

Can we eat in between? Like if I drink the water for breakfast and eat lunch then drink the water after lunch!

7. Dawn says

Just got the ingredients today and made it. Sitting in the refrigerator, looks really pretty too. Cant wait to try it!

8. pallavi says

should we throw the infused lemon and mint leaves.or we can squeeze the lemon in water after keeping lemon and mint leaves overnight……

9. sexymama says

can u take prescribed medications and baby aspirins while doing this detox? I made this and looks really pretty, can’t wait to try this.

10. Debbie Olson says

This really great tasting! I made it last night and have just finished a glass. I had my husband try it and he says it is good. I am taking some over to my daughter’s house this afternoon for her to try also. She is pregnant and this is safe for her to drink. Thank you!

• MRSTAJ says

I have been drinking this amazing water now for three weeks. I drink it everyday six times a day at one liter each. I have lost twelve pounds already. I eat seven small meals a day and exercise for one hour a day. I work nights and the water gives me energy and it also curb my appetite, I have to sometimes make myself eat, because it always makes me fill full.

11. Renee says

Do you have to take the lemons and cucumbers out if you don’t drink in 24 hours? My sat all day and still haven’t taken them out. Water tastes great.

• thedenverhousewife says

No, you don’t have too. I noticed when I left mine in for longer then 24 hours my water started to taste bitter. It’s all about preference… :)

• yari says

Hey am I suppose to leave the lemon and the cucumber with the mint inside ? How long? Or do I squeeze the lemon? And leave it overnight

12. Starr Greenwell says

WOW, this is some great information. I am going to start doing this, thanks so much for the information:)

13. Mimi says

HI…. i love the taste of water with a splash of lemon in it.. but this sounds yummy! how many days will this last if i made the 12cups?

14. Theresa says

i’m confused and don’t mean to sound dumb, but do you squeeze the lemon and cucumber into this or just simply add slices?

15. Jennifer Whelan says

Just a quick question. Can I add more water to the lemon, cucumber and mint that I already have steeping in the fridge? Like if I drink half during the day can I fill it back up at night for the next day or should I drink all of that batch and just make another whole batch? Reason for the question is I have a very small fridge and it’s hard to make space for two large pitchers lol.

Thanks for this recipe!
    J Whelan

• Jamie says

Absolutely! I would just recommend changing out the fruit every 24 hours since it starts to get bitter and such.

16. April says

Hi, I was wondering if we could use mint extract instead of leaves. And if so, how many drops do you think we would need to make up for 10 or so leaves? Thanks. Cannot wait to try this!

17. Sam says

Guys & Gals, be careful in the amount of lemon water you consume. I’ve spoken to quite a few doctors and they have said that too much of this can lead to Kidney problems, so please don’t over do.

Like everything else, too much on anything is not good for you.

• Cher says

See I find this so weird. When I started reading the article with the warning, I was like huh? This is because I am prone to kidney stones (have had 4 over 3 years) and my urologist said I should drink lemon water to help in the prevention of stones… so if it’s bad for kidneys that would seem contradictory.

18. Carmen Shaw says

I have been drinking the detox water with lemon, cucumber and lime for a few days now and I am so itchy. Is that normal?

• Jerri says

You are itching because of the acidity in the lemon. I have the itching with all acidic fruits and veggies. (oranges, strawberries, fresh pineapple, tomatoes, etc.) If you want to do this, I suggest you take benedryl or some other antihistimine.
      I have not tried this but I may do it for a few days a week just because I have allergies and itching.

• Sabrina Laurin says

For the itchiness, instead of benadryl, take a luckwarm water bath with baking soda… it helps for any kind of itching…

19. Karen says

I find it amazing that when we use natural things to improve our health that the doctors who push meds with tons of side effects send out warnings….

• Mamajeffries says

Cheyenne, try drinking this along with regular water too. Exercise by walking at least 30 minutes a day until you can build up to 1 hour per day. Eat several small, low carb meals per day. A lot of fruit is not good for you, as it includes natural sugars and causes your body to produce insulin. FIBER is great too – try eating plain oatmeal for breakfast, sweetened with a little honey or light brown sugar (Stevia is good too). Salads for lunch with oil & vinegar dressing (watch the calories and carbs in dressings!). Snacks: small apple with Tbs peanut butter or some peanut butter crackers, rice cakes. Dinner: lean meat, fish or chicken with 1 cup veggies, 1 fruit. This is a very easy way to eat and lose weight in a healthy way. I have type II diabetes and lost 30 lbs in just over 4 weeks whenever I had to start with this diet. If you have a dietician that you can see, take advantage of that. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Praying for you :)

20. says

Saw this being shared on FB, Imma give this a try. I drink a LOT of water so I’m thinking of doing this every other day so that I don’t end up drinking too much.

21. Maritz says

I’m interested with this,(it might help my sugar level to be normal) its a detox water it will cleanse my body right, but my big question is will I be in the bathroom all the time? i’m also acidic is that ok for me? i have 11 years old son can he take some also?

• Derrick Mullins says

I’ve been drinking this for 2 weeks, my stomach isn’t as bloated because of excess acid which is awesome. And just recently I have been going to the bathroom more.

22. Cook says

I have few questions-
    1) how long should I continue drinking lemon-cucumber detox water?
    2) does it help to gain flat belly as it says?

23. Ginger says

I’ve been doing this drink and was surprised that a well known restaurant was serving cucumber,lemon and mint drinks I was amazed that after consuming the drink while shopping the detox kicked in I felt like I took a fluid pill.. I still drink it and love what it does!!!

Ginger Houma

24. Olivia Rubin says

I never knew that lemons had health / side effects. Are you supposed to eat as well or just drink this? Guess I can’t add artifical sweetner and make lemonade! Going to look into this further.

25. Sherry says

I have some of the same questions but still await on answers from Jamie. This seems like a great detox but too will I lost weight with this?

26. Sherry Williams Thomas says

Can i do this without the mint? I can’t take the mint, tried it don’t do good because I do not like mint at all

27. AMERICANBRAT4LIFE69 says

I am trying this out I just made it so I have to wait for it to chill. I am hoping it help me with flushing my system out and loss a little belly fat too.I really never drink to much water so I’m really hoping this wil help me too..Have a very BLESSED DAY.. Any thoughts on how to lose belly fat that works…

28. MR.Najar says

am trying this out for the first time i have ran across it yesterday….so hope to say good things about it good day to you all

29. Lynn says

I made this last night, drank a large glass today, & have gurggling in my intestines all evening, which is why I’m on this site. Wasn’t sure how long to keep the water, & have noticed that I should throw out the produce. I may try it again on Sat. Not sure I like the side effects. Too bad the only thing on facebook was the recipe. It would have been good to know these things.

30. Mary Pat says

When you are pouring the water into your glass, should the cucumbers, mint and lemon stay in pitcher or should some be in your glass? Thanks, love this, just tried it!

31. TYT says

I started this detox on Monday of this week. I recently lost 26 lbs juicing (kale, fresh fruit and fresh spinach), but I still felt heavy and tired all the time. My assistant recommended this water and I am HOOKED. I have always had an issue with drinking water – NOT NOW.. its refreshing and yes, its a great detox. I feel amazing and my energy level has increased drastically. I recommended this to a few of my coworkers and its now being done in my family, coworkers and some of my church friends. As I get older, I realize this body needs to be detoxed.. what better way to do it then natural detoxification.

32. Tamika says

Mine is so bitter it’s disgusting. It’s day three and I did not take the fruit out. But I drink it.

Anyone able to discuss how it makes you feel and if there is a colon cleansing effect from drinking?

33. Angie says

I have been drinking this water now for 3 months. I had very bad cystic acne at that time, my doctor even threw me on antibiotics. The antibiotics made me really sick and I stopped taking them. I decided to give this water a try and completely fell in love with it. I was already making fruit water for my kids anyway but found those to be too sweet. My kids, ages 16 and 14 even drink this but only a glass a day, I drink 2 liters of this plus 2 liters of regular filtered water a day. My skin has almost cleared up, I went from weighing 128 pounds to 109 pounds. My doctor has said nothing about this water being harmful. He just gave me a thumbs up cuz all my levels all are in the green and told me to keep doing what I’m doing. I also just started running an hour a week “for now”.

34. Lana says

I made it, I tried it and I like it, especially the colors in the glass pitcher, looks so refreshing. This will be my Holiday Drink.

35. Ann says

This really sound nice, will try.
    Can i substitute mint with ginger because it does the same thing and i like the taste of ginger better.

36. Rosey says

I’ve been drinking this water for 3 weeks now and the results are amazing. I’ve lost weight (I don’t know how much because I don’t weigh myself; I only go by the feel of my clothes) and with my skin looking so great, and my fat literally just melting away, I look like I’ve gotten 10 years younger! *blush* Although I do add two dashes of cayenne pepper to the pitcher. It adds a nice zing to the water and I heard that cayenne pepper also speeds up your metabolism. I refill the pitcher as needed throughout the day, shake vigorously, and drink up. I change the cucumbers, lemon, and mint everyday.

37. rick says

So if lemon water is good for you but can have somewhat negative side effects makes you wonder about drinking all that lemonade during the summer is doing to you… (that could put all those lemon stands out of business)
    I have also heard, back before internet, about a doctor who said his drinking every day a glass of water with a table spoon of lemon jiuce, honey, and vinegar was one reason he lived to be in his 90s.

• Nette says

Did this doctor say a specific type of ingredients ( like, the vinegar got to be made by a certain company ) for his daily drink? Was it brown or white vinegar?

38. catina says

I’ve been taking detox for 3Days now and have noticed that I’ve lost some belly fat. It kept me in the bathroom my first 2Days but after I’m fine…also I just want to mention that it has cause some upper stomach pain,(crapping)almost if I had be doing sit-ups,but for the most part I really enjoy the drink and will continue with it…

39. Mike says

I make quart jars with a slice each of lemon, orange and cucumber with a couple fresh mint leaves in each quart jar then fill with water, occasionally I’ll add a sliced strawberry or a mashed blackberry to add variety. I drink 4 quarts throughout the day. I work outside and work out at the gym 6 days a week so I also drink about another half gallon of water every day. I eat paleo and have eliminated anything processed, no sugar no alcohol

40. Che Demesme says

I’ve been drinking cucumber/ lemon water for about 3 months. I recently went to the doctor for a check up and when I got on the scale I noticed that I had lost 10 pounds! I was originally 145 and now I’m down to 132. I didn’t think that I was overweight but losing a few pounds a month is great.

41. Joshua Clauser says

Can I drink this along with taking workout supplements…..like whey protein, mass gainer, stuff like that. Or will that be cleaned from my body as well?

42. Cassandra says

I’ve been wanting to do this, finally got the right ingredients and first day trying it! I put it in my own personal water/bottle thing aha. So excited!!

So far I love the taste and how refreshing it is.

43. nitagrace says

Just completed my first batch of LCM detox water and I feel great!
    The entire amount was consumed with me 24 hours. I plan to maintain balance by doing this every weekend.

44. Joyce says

Add ginger as well! Also, I found that if I made in smaller batches that I could go through each day, could add fresh water and a little more lemon juice to avoid the bitterness of too many days of the fruit sitting in the same water/carafe. I used just a little less cucumber last time because it was taking over the whole taste – but that probably relates to the huge cucumbers in the store! May try the “pickling” cucumber next time (none of that wax to worry about and they’re smaller with fewer seeds.)

45. Nikki says

I drink lemon and cucumber water everyday all day long and I love it. I have recently gone vegan too and I promise this is the best that I have every felt. I drink at least a 64 oz of the lemon cucumber water a day. I don’t even drink “regular” water anymore.

46. Nikki Grant says

Can you substitute the mint leaves for cilantro? If not cilantro, is there anything else to replace the mint leaves?

47. Marcia Johnson says

I was excited to try this but the taste was too tart and bitter to stand. Also it gave me extreme heartburn. Maybe I used too much lemon, I’m not sure… my next try would be with watermelon versus lemon to had some sweetness and take away the bitterness… any other suggestions?

48. JoAnn says

Hi I tried this and its wonderful! However I wanted to know if it makes a difference between glass and plastic as far as the container/pitcher? I wondered if the citrus would be harmful to drink in plastic? Thanks

49. Cynthia says

So, I just have to say I am not a huge fan of water or mint at all !! My friend turned me on to this today….. And it was so amazing that once I got off work I had to make it. Now I am looking forward to a healthier life style.

50. Brian says

Can you provide any evidence that this works? I’ve at least 15 .edu/.gov websites (the only sources you should trust) and can find NO credible evidence that lemon (or any sort of detox concontion) is actually good for you.

If you take care of your body and feed it properly, there’s no need to starve yourself and pump it fill of citric acid…., which doesn’t have any evidence of helping anyway…. beware of BS trends folks.

• Jamie says

I’ve never said for anyone to starve their bodies and I encourage people to eat healthy diets. I’m not sure how this is a BS trend when I’ve never stated it was a diet. Instead it’s just a way to help flush your system. All you have to do is google and see how lemon is beneficial to anyone’s diet, it is a fruit after all.

• Jamie says

Ginger is good for gastrointestinal distress and posses numerous therapeutic properties including antioxidant effects, an ability to inhibit the formation of inflammatory compounds, and direct anti-inflammatory effects.

51. Jessica Crazii says

I got two weeks and i lost weight
    Doing this iusually cook the ginger and mint leaf but i let it get cold bfore drinking it inthrow in the lemon and the cucumber in slices and i already lost 7 lbs since im not drinking soda or any ki da of soda jus gingerale sumtimes
    Im replacing any thing that has to do wiff caffein wiff this diet thanx! Its reallly enjoyale i drink it after every meal i replace the water after a week and den ever two weeks i jus change the lemoms and da ingridients love itttttt
    Its suppose to make u poop alot right?

52. Jessica Crazii says

Sorry for my spelling lol its the auto correct that i have it gets retarded once a while even if i try fixing it idk how to disable it!! =( sowwie

53. Kierstin Williams says

I have been doing this for about a week, and have gotten bloated, have diaherra, and are exhausted. I read that these are some side effects because you are detoxing your body, has anyone else experienced this? Also can I do this for ever or is this just a week to two week thing?

54. nicole dz says

I love the combination of all the flavors. Great to drink anytime especially in the summer. Love how it’s naturally flavored and can done to suit your taste. And no sugar!

55. courtney b says

i love this! i read the post and all the comments and i’m surprise how many people are into doing this… anymore success stories?

56. Maralea says

I put lemon in my water all the time. Have never thought of adding cucumber and mint. Can’t wait to give it a try!

57. Holly E says

I love drinking infused water during the summer. There are so many great recipes for them. I love this recipe. It’s so refreshing!

58. Marwa says

can I leave it overnight (cucumber water) after one day can I eat this cucumber after drinking its water or only drink cucumber water and throw the cucumber

59. Michelle S says

I love detox water! I’m glad to have stumbled across this because I am always looking for different recipes to try out so that I don’t get bored with one.

60. hairichick says

what is the difference this combo with the apple cinnamon? i need to trim down my tummy at the same time need energy for fatigue due to long hours of working…can i combine all in one drink?

61. Christine says

I found the same for 2 liters (2 quarts), I cut up 1 whole lemon with the mint leaves and cucumber. I changed mine to add the extra quart. I wasn’t sure how much to drink till I read your comments. Will definitely do that :)

62. carol clark says

i love cucumber and lemon i love it with crused up blueberrys also not much or it will be awful but just enough

63. Neil says

Hi
    I just wanted to ask if we blend all these 4 ingredients and water in a juicer blender and leave it overnight then will it give the same results???

64. sUNSHINE says

I made this detox water one week ago and I love it. I drink it all day. My appetite has truly changed.

Trackbacks

1. […] Detox Water with Lemon, Cucumber, and Mint.detox water. *I've had some people ask about side effects from drinking Lemon water aka Detox Water. The Live Strong Website has a great article about drinking too much lemon water and you should read it before drinking. […]

2. […] Detox Water with Lemon, Cucumber, and Mint.detox water. *I've had some people ask about side effects from drinking Lemon water aka Detox Water. The Live Strong Website has a great article about drinking too much lemon water and you should read it before drinking. […]

3. […] For lunch this week, I went with grilled chicken strips, lettuce and cucumbers. I have the print out of what a previous personal trainer suggested we ate which is so muuuch easier and Ive been researching as well. Ive gotta buy more fruit to round out lunch. Ive read about detoxing ones system so I added lemon to my water but found this recipe. Detox Water with Lemon, Cucumber and Mint […]