These peppermint hot chocolate spoons are the perfect DIY homemade holiday or Christmas gift for friends and family. They are easy to make and can be given to neighbors, co-workers, teachers, and more.
If you’re looking for an easy DIY gift, project for the kids to do, or even something special for your warm winter drinks these peppermint hot chocolate spoons are the perfect thing to make. You can pair them with a cute mug filled with hot chocolate and they make the perfect small gift.
These spoons are so cute to make, perfect for winter, and super easy. You’ll need just 3 ingredients to make the peppermint hot chocolate spoons.
Items You’ll Need for Peppermint Hot Chocolate Spoons
Chocolate – You can use your favorite kind of melting chocolate. I like the Ghirardelli melting wafers and they come in 3 different types – Dark, Milk, and White. You can use any of those chocolates to make these spoons. They’re available at grocery stores like Target, Walmart, Sam’s Club, and your local grocery store.
Peppermint Candies – I used the Brach’s Star Brites, but crushed candy canes would work too.
Wooden Spoons – You’ll need wooden spoons for this project, but you could also use a plastic spoon or metal spoon if you wanted to give them a spoon to keep. These Christmas spoons would be adorable as a keepsake item.
How to Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate Spoons
To make your spoons you’ll want to crush your peppermint candies. You can do this in a food processor with the pulse feature until they’re crushed into fine pieces. If you don’t have a food processor you can add them to a ziplock bag and crush them with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
Once your candies are crushed you’ll want to melt your chocolate. You can do this by adding them to a microwave safe bowl and heating them in 30 second intervals. Take them out, stir, and do another 30 seconds until the chocolate is melted.
You’ll then dip each spoon into the melted chocolate and place the coated spoons onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Place in the refrigerator for 5 mins and then repeat the chocolate process so they have 2 coats of chocolate.
Once you have dipped your chocolate spoons a second time return them to the lined baking sheet and sprinkle the crushed peppermint candies on top of the spoons.
Place them back into the refrigerator for 5 minutes to harden and then they’re ready to use. You can wrap them with small cellophane treat bags to give as gifts or keep them in an airtight container to use at home.
Some other fun additions would be adding Christmas sprinkles to the spoons.
- 12 Spoons
- 10 Pieces of Striped Peppermint Candy
- 1.5 Cups of Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Melting Wafers. Divide it into 1 cup and a ½ cup
- Start by putting the peppermint candy into a food processor and pulse it until it is in fine pieces. If you do not have a food processor you can also put the peppermint candy in a bag and crush it with a rolling pin. Then, prepare a baking sheet by covering it in wax paper.
- Put 1 cup of chocolate wafers into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it for 30 seconds. Take it out of the microwave and stir it, then put it back in for 30 more seconds.
- Dip each spoon in the melted chocolate and shake the excess off back into the bowl. Place the spoons on the wax paper and put them in the refrigerator for 5 minutes to set. Repeat this step one more time so that there are 2 layers of chocolate coating each spoon.
- Melt the other ½ cup of chocolate wafers in the microwave for 30 seconds. Then, dip each spoon in the melted chocolate and shake the excess off. This time when you place the spoons on the wax paper you will sprinkle the crushed peppermint on top of them. Let them set in the refrigerator for 5 more minutes and then they are ready to be mixed into 1 cup of hot milk for a delicious hot chocolate!