This post is brought to you by Cigna Insurance!
When you’re juggling work, family, and a home the last thing you want to worry about is health insurance. October is open enrollment month with most insurance companies and choosing the plan that is best for your family can be stressful and overwhelming. Cigna understands that moms are busy and how stressful insurance shopping can be so they’ve provided some great info and tips for picking out the best insurance plan for your family!
Key Open Enrollment Tips When Choosing a Health Plan
- Don’t assume. Check each year to make sure your doctor or a doctor you’d like to see participates in your health plan’s network.
- Think about your health history and health care needs. Consider how much you spend on average for health care in a plan year. How might that change in the upcoming year? For example, are you having a baby? Do you or your child need braces? Are you planning to have surgery?
- Confirm your prescription drugs are covered. To help you plan, it’s a good idea to know how much your maintenance drug costs. Learn whether a generic or over-the-counter medication is available and appropriate for you. Compare the cost of your medicine at different pharmacies.
- Check what’s offered by your health plan: consumers can save money by using many of the services included in their health plan benefits, such as preventive care, discounts to gyms and weight loss programs or health and wellness programs.
- Look online: Health plans often have online information and mobile access to tools that can help compare cost and quality among doctors or hospitals and prescription drugs. Online information may also include coaching programs, as well as easy ways to check claim status or get additional information about covered benefits.
- If you are enrolling in an employer plan, your employer is a resource: Find out if your employer is offering an enrollment fair and if so, go. Read the enrollment materials from your employer. Some employers have a Web site or hotline where you can get help.
- Know when open enrollment begins and know the enrollment deadline. Submit your enrollment choices by the deadline!
- Don’t forget about dental, vision and disability insurance. These are important coverages too.