I have been on a mission to find a Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole recipe because if you’ve ever been there you know they have the best hashbrowns EVER! Every recipe I stumbled upon asked for a “cream of” something soup and I am not really a fan of cooking with them and I knew there had to be another way to make this delicious casserole.
I tried out this lovely recipe and made some adjustments to my liking and I am in love! So delicious, So cheesy, So goooooood!! I used some southwest hashbrowns I had on hand and it came out so good. A kick of spicy and cheesy, but you can use ANY hashbrowns you have. Now excuse me while I go and finish off the pan…
CREAM SOUP SUBSTITUTE INGREDIENTS
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 30-32 ounces frozen shredded hash browns – thawed
- 1 batch cream soup substitute
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 of a small onion – diced
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
CREAM SOUP SUBSTITUTE DIRECTIONS
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Whisk in flour and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth, then milk. Stir until it begins to thicken. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Season with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together thawed hash brown potatoes and melted butter.
- Stir in cream soup substitute, sour cream, onion, ham, and 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Stir well.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese (or more if you’d like).
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
Recipe adapted from Centercutcook.com