Sorry for no fancy picture on this post!
I’m all about the quick, easy, but delicious dinners these days. This pregnancy is taking it’s toll on me and sitting on the couch being miserable is my new favorite past time, ha! I made this on a whim when I realized we needed groceries. Luckily the items in this dish are staples in most houses and it’s super quick to make. (make sure to read to the end since I made some changes of my own)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ of a large yellow onion, diced
- 1.5 pounds good quality, lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoon of season salt, or salt and pepper to taste
- 1 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
- 1 pound of rotini pasta
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- Freshly diced tomato
- Green onions
- Shredded lettuce
- Start with a large pot.
- Add olive oil to the pan, and sautee yellow onions until softened over medium heat.
- Increase heat to high and add ground beef.
- While ground beef is cooking, season with one teaspoon of season salt plus several turns of freshly ground pepper.
- Brown ground beef, and drain any excess fat from the pot.
- Use kitchen scissors to chop up whole tomatoes while still in the can.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, ketchup, mustard, pasta and additional teaspoon of season salt to the pot and bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn heat back down, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Once pasta is cooked, remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle additional cup of shredded cheese on top and re-cover pot with lid until cheese is melted.
- Add your choice of traditional cheeseburger toppings.
I made a few changes to this recipes. I used ground turkey since it’s what I had on hand, regular yellow mustard, elbow macaroni noodles, and rotel instead of the canned tomatoes. The rotel ended up working out nicely and gave the casserole a slight spicy kick. I also didn’t add any cheeseburger toppings and just ate it as it. It’s better then those boxed meals and takes the same amount of time to make. So delicious!!
This recipe makes A LOT. Like a pot full and enough for a whole family. I think the 3 of us will be eating it for a few days…
Recipe from Number 2 Pencil!Pin It